Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Laminate Sails 6 years 2 months ago #10783

• Dave 7508
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
We are, indeed an international class. I got into Albacore sailing because our rules and regulations are such that it makes it accessible to a wide variety of participants.
If rule changes need to be accepted by the IRC, why do we have to change our rigging when competing in the USA or Canada? Let's sort that one out before thinking about laminate sails. Just saying.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Laminate Sails 6 years 2 months ago #10785

• grahamd
  • grahamd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Actually we are a National class says so at the top of the page

Laminate Sails 6 years 2 months ago #10786

• Armstrong7518
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Dave as I understand it it was the rigging issue that prompted the current rule change process as documented in the relevant constitution.This was to make sure any changes were across the board and not divisive. We would love to sort it out but so far it has proved too difficult.

Laminate Sails 6 years 2 months ago #10787

• pms123
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all
Graham is correct, it is the National AIbacore Association as stated at the top of the page.

However there is also a tab at the top of the page that links to the constitution, this clearly states what the National Albacore Association is about.

The new boat runs in the UK with Ovington have largely been joint ventures with our Canadian counterparts.

The Albacore in Canada is used by numerous Community Sailing Clubs, which run the Albacore on tight budgets, in certain cases they can have up to 50 boats on the start line, so we have to consider their views, along with our fellow American Sailors as stated in the Constitution.

Whilst I understand, to a certain degree, your frustrations, there have been numerous classes that have accepted fundamental changes to there boats, which has resulted in split fleets.

In terms of laminate sails, when I asked a Phantom Sailor why he had purchased Laminate as to Dacron, the answer was not what I expected, in terms of sails keeping shape etc and not blowing out, but was due to weight.

Whilst we cannot confirm that without having a set of sails to weigh, if it is correct, it would mean that all boats would need additional weight at the Nationals as, whilst there is a bare hull weight, at the Nationals boats are weighed for an all up weight.

Paul

Laminate Sails 6 years 2 months ago #10788

• jeremy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Stephen Graham of P & B sailmakers says that laminate sails are lighter but more expensive, and when they do wear out they are completely useless. He thought there would be little benefit to the class.
As Paul says we would have to bring our North American friends along with us on any rule change, and we don't want anything which makes the class more expensive

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds