Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10811

• TimPR
  • TimPR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Jeremy, I think that would be useful to talk to the RYA, as unless we raise it with them they will not know that we think there is an issue.
I suspect that they will say that the calculation is done automatically from returns from clubs and so is accurate, but it would be interesting to try and find out which clubs have the fast Albacores - the list of returns in 2017 show 1,934 race returns from Albacores which is quite high compared with other boats eg Wayfarer 1,530.
However previous PYN discussions on this forum have mentioned a number of clubs that dont use the primary yardstick number, so there is perceived to be an issue.
Our club only uses Primary Portsmouth numbers - like your club they dont want the political hassle of using local numbers.
I would also urge fellow Association members to check the new RYA Portsmouth Number list when it does come out, to make sure their own club is mentioned in the thank you list for submitting returns.
Last year our club wasnt mentioned and when I chased up our dinghy committee they found that there had been a problem with the automatic data link from Sailwave results.
So do double check that your club is mentioned.
Thanks
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10812

• FOWLER
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The RYA site does disclose which clubs results are taken from,

Just a thought but if Albs do particularly well at certain clubs due to conditions, or favoured courses, perhaps, better results are achieved & subsequently submitted?
GT Marine

Last edit: by FOWLER. Reason: spelling

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10814

• Dave 7508
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Surprise surprise!! We've gone down another three points, to 1038!

www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/t..._List%20-%202018.pdf

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10815

• Graham5893
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is getting silly. Not only is is discouraging to sailors of older boats like me who are getting hammered in the handicap class racing, but it also devalues boats when it comes time to sell as how can you encourage new buyers into the class when they see there's little chance of fair competition at club level.

To me my choices are:
1) buy a new boat and hope you might stand a chance
2) sail only in class races and events
3) change class
4) split the fleet into gold fleet and others or even further subdivisions. Merlins do it, N12s do it, Fifteens do it. It's ridiculous I have to sail a 1976 boat on a modern handicap against a N12 using a reduced handicap and a Merlin with FRP hull and carbon rig that still gets a reduced handicap because of sail number.

I don't feel I'm going to get any enjoyment out of my club membership this year. On an inland lake with multiple windshifts and great holes all over the place it is impossible to gain the kind of distance required over a 60 or 75 minute race. I see the Enterprise has slowed down by another 3 points. How can this be with their new ultra stiff hulls and massive rig tensions?

I hope the discussions with e RYA this weekend yield something, but I doubt it.

Think I'll take the dog for a walk and calm down.

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10816

• jeremy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Unfortunately due to the bad weather I could not attend the Dinghy Show so I will have to follow this up by email.

Alb Portsmouth Yardstick Number discussion again 1 year 2 months ago #10817

• Gunship
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Jerry, who were you going to speak to? I will see if I can have a chat with them tomorrow.

Matt

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds