• Page:

TOPIC: Internationals

Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8625

• teamspot
  • teamspot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Spectacular day of racing yesterday on Lake Ontario with winds in the low to mid teens, 1-2 foot chop, and a touch of windward current to make getting the fleet off the line a challenge. I think we had 9 starts but only two races. I may be off on this but there were sadly a whole bunch of BFDs on the score sheet. One boat suffered a broken stik after a shroud failed - we all contributed parts to get them ready to sail for today. There are 70-something Albacores on the line for this event. Loooong windward legs and interesting shifty winds - first three boats at the windward mark came from the far right, the left, and the middle. All four proposed rule changes were passed during the Canadian AGM last nite. The hot tub was over flowing with scantilly clad sailors. Freaking COLD here at night. Todays fore cast is for MORE WIND from the east with wind driven chop building to 3 feet by mid afternoon. Potentially epic conditions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8626

• MrGin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That's great Barney, thanks!

I for one am very sad not to be their as is many others.

Any more updates would be great if you get 5.

Be careful in that hot tub.

Phil

Last edit: by MrGin.

Re: Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8627

• teamspot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yesterday was yet another wonderful day on the water. Breeze started a touch light at 5-8 kts and built throughout the day to finish in the mid to upper teens and 2-3 foot waves. The current seemed to be less of an issue for some reason and there were fewer general recalls - but we did see the black flag a few times. Three races were completed, all windward-leeward twice around. We now have five races which constituted the Canadian Natinoals. Awards were conducted in the RCYC Ball room following a meal of ribs. In addition to the Canadian championships, a number of people who had served the Albacore class were recognized. Among others, David Innes, Jonathan Weeks, John Duncan, John Luard, Dennis Sherwood, Ian Rogers, David Weaver, Peter Duncan, and yours truly all recollected fond memories of their time in the class - all of which echoed what a great boat the Albacore is to sail and the life long friendships and comraderie the class has created. In addition, Paul Henderson (former ISAF president) spoke about sailing with his daughter for an eleven year period. In the end we finished first - principally by avoiding black flags and finishing near the front in each race. Neville Herbert was second sailing my woof 6701. George Carter and Almir were third sailing a brand new HAPCO Albacore 8185. Allan Measor and Richard Pearcy were fourth in their new HAPCO 8161. Raines Koby and Abby McGuinnes were fifth. The rest of the scores are posted somewhere - not sure tho. Forecast for today is for MORE WIND. ok, can't wait to get back on the water.

Re: Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8628

• MrGin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Weldone Barney, Dave, Nev & Steve.

The results are here.....

albacore.ca/caa_files/2011canadianschampionship.html

Enjoy

Phil

Re: Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8630

• MrGin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Re: Internationals 7 years 11 months ago #8634

• teamspot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
long and challenging day on the water yesterday. light winds - 5-8 kts or so from the w and shifting all day to the south making the right side generally favored. we had two races. first race had george carter way way out in front. second race we were in the top 5 until right at the end when we squeaked by to win.

today is the lay day - so last nite was a bit of a blow out. indian food at moordale. this morning some knuckle heads had dragged my boat on its dolly and covered and left it on the sand spit across the cove. idiots. barry got the motor boat keys and we floated it back. its all ok now. was kind of hoping that we wouldn't see any antics like that. hope there arent any more. i have been told there is a video.

neville and steve are in third right now, two points behind george carter. there should be some good spectating to see those guys and measor duke it out over the next few days.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds