Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9386

• Gunship
  • Gunship's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Following the presentation by Barney at the Ints this year, there is a lot of positive feedback from members about attending the Ints in Sarasota in March 2015.

To this end, it has been suggested that the best way to get positive commitment and therefore to properly plan shipping of boats, is to set up a savings fund to spread the cost.

I am more than happy to organise this side of things and have made some provisional enquiries about the logistics. The general idea being that a sum of say £50 per month from September 2013 till February 2015 would amass £900 per participant. That is felt to be more than enough to cover shipping and should leave a bit spare.

In order to get a feel of the likely numbers I would welcome firm responses from those who will commit immediately to this plan.

From what I have heard we can fit 8 Albs in a 40 foot standard container and 12 in a 45 foot high cube container. Therefore with a minimum of 8, almost any increase in number could possibly be catered for (multiples of 4 obviously best)

If you are seriously committed, please respond within the next 2 weeks.

If it is a feasible plan we can then organise a logistics committee and a marketing committee (a shipping sponsor and a flight sponsor hopefully).

Warm seas, sand and sunshine - bring it on................. B)

STOP PRESS>>> Dates confirmed 20th to 27th March 2015.

Matt (NAA Treasurer)
AL8155
Gran Turismo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Gunship. Reason: Updated info

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9387

• Gunship
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
OK, plenty of views but no responses.
Let's change the emphasis slightly.

Responding to this post does not commit you in any way.
Also the savings plan could be 12 months Jan to Dec 2014 at £75 per month - gives a bit more time to think.

Without any idea of numbers there will not be any plans progressed for a container.

Matt

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9389

• Paul Sleeman
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Matt
We would like to go to the internationals in 2015, we are just checking if we both can get time off work. Want to be able visit a few other places whilst we are out there.

Paul & Jacqui Sleeman
1924,7518 & 8190(under construction)

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9390

• grahamd
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Matt, its certainly something we have discussed, too far away to commit definitely but I would say a possibility.

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9391

• Barry
  • Thank you received: 3
This sounds like a great idea, I'm definitely going.

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9404

• Richard Smith
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Matt thanks for posting this thread and yes I think it a great idea. £50 a month should be quite painless and it gets a commitment early - so count me in. Opportunities such as this do not come around that often so time to grasp the nettle. I have always wanted to do a long haul event and missed out on the last few so Florida 2015 is very appealing. I came back from Abersoch and have started to sell some of my 'junk' on E bay - Target was £100 a month - the idea was to help fund the boat going to USA and also to empty my (many) sheds! _ So if any one wants to but some old copper kettles or bits for seagull outboards they will be on E bay next week!!

Regards
Richard
ÆOLIAN II

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9407

• teamspot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To ship Albacores one must use a HIGH CUBE container.

A HIGH CUBE container is one foot taller than a regular container.

This one foot of extra height is necessary to fit boats- two on the bulkheads, one from the overhead, and one on the floor. When loaded there is only a few inches between all the hulls.

bes regards to all,

Barney

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9410

• Nev
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Mat

Great idea re spreading the cost but too early to commit for most I would imagine. However, as the container leaving is only 18 months away and assuming there is only one container filled you can count me in.

The venue and sailing conditions in Sarasota are outstanding and with camping available at the club its a great location for a Champs.

Nev

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9424

• Barry
Hi Matt,

What's the latest with this suggestion?

Thanks

Barry

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9425

• Gunship
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Barry,

We are making tentative enquiries on container costs at present. It is far too early to give any firm figures but the figure indicated above should easily be sufficient. Barney has passed me his extensive notes from previous tours as to everything that needs to be considered.

Several people have mentioned that it is too early for them to commit at this stage so in reality we are looking at probably March next year to set up the savings scheme. Hopefully there will be some more expressions of interest by then. However, the initial deposit will then need to be in the region of £300 - so start saving in your own piggy bank now.

I have also asked Admin to put Barneys PDF poster on the website but I think there are some technical issues to overcome. That poster gives loads more info on the event.

Matt
AL8155

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9432

• teamspot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
With regard to it being "...too early to make a commitment to sail Albacore Internationals in 2015..."

I say the time is NOW to decide and commit to sailing in this event. I have - and will be there unless I am dead - and in that case i will have instructions to use my corpse as an anchor for the pin end so that I can catch a glimpse of Neville as he is called OCS at the start.

Decide now and put it onto your calendar. Tell all your relatives and friends about your exciting plan for a week or more of dinghy racing in sunny Florida. Let them know that this time period has been blanked out - and so you won't be able to attend their last minute wedding, dinner party, or pet dog obedience school graduation ceremony.

Advise your employer and sort out how they will compensate for your time away. Anything can be figured out given enough time.

Use the long advanced time to work out the best itinerary for corollary trips within the USA before or afterwards and obtain the best rates for hotels, air fare, etc.

Use this time to up your game - improve the set up and tuning on your boat - or buy a new boat. Plan a series of practice sessions for the remainder of this year and next to improve your speed, mark roundings, and starts. Couple this with sailing events to put new skills into practice. Consider flying to Sarasota for 2014 mid winters to get acclimated - tell you what, I will find and deliver a boat for anyone who wishes to do this.

We in the USA are planning our first 2015 Internationals organization meeting to define our roles, assign tasks, build the budget, etc. It will likely be at my house next week. We are going to put together a fun and worthwhile event. I look forward to seeing you all there.

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9434

• Gunship
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
OK, this is what I have so far - obviously no one has put up any cash so far though:

Pretty definate:
Matt Thompson
Pete Lawrence
Hazel Smith
Barry Wickes
Richard Smith
Paul Sleeman

Very interested:
Graham Darvill
Phil Smith
Neville Herbert

9 boats so we will be looking for a 45ft high cube which will accommodate 12 in total - space for another 3.

And I'm sure more of you are interested but have not yet put your heads above the parapet yet.

If you are thinking that you will save some money and commitment by chartering Stateside the word is that there is no local fleet so any charter boat will need to be hauled from Canada or DC and that is a long way! The estimate from Barney is US$350-US$400 for expenses plus the cost of the charter. So you will be looking at pretty much the same total cost either way.

Matt
AL8155
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGin

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9435

• Steve Bailey
  • Thank you received: 1
Matt
Could you add me to the list please. I am happy to start contributing to a savings fund whenever you see fit to start one, I think it is an excellent idea.
Barney is right, it is not too early to start planning this properly and the time will fly if we leave it until next year.
All the best
Steve
A5881

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9436

• Gunship
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
OK Steve, will do.

Matt

2015 Internationals 10 years 6 months ago #9437

• Nev
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm definitely in, if only to see Barns bloated, rum riddled body attached to the pin end. Be the first time he's got there first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGin

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds