• Page:

TOPIC: Floor stiffening

Floor stiffening 5 years 2 months ago #9941

• Graham5893
  • Graham5893's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a Knight & Pink Albacore which has a single floor batten either side of the centreboard case. The battens are not stiff enough to prevent the floor flexing as I or the crew move around which is leading to the joints to the hog starting to open up. I have repaired the joins with epoxy so no harm done, but I would like to stiffen the floor. Question is, what is the best method? So far I have thought of the following:

1. Bond another thinner batten on top of the existing one to create a simple laminate and stiffen the batten. I think this would look quite neat and not too 'aftermarket'
2. Bond another batten inboard of the existing ones either side of the hog. Again a posssibly neat solution
3. Fit cross braces bonded to the floor between the side tanks and the hog. Probably three sets needed starting from around the centreboard pivot point where the crew's feet go, just aft of the bailers and at the end of the centreboard case. This should then brace the 'working area where we move around. Drain holes would have to be let in to allow water to pass.
4. Lay a very fine layer of glass mat on the floor in the crew working area. I had this done professionaly to a Firefly and when varnished it was effectively invisible unless you looked very closely.
5. A combination of some or all of the above.

I have studied the rules and there wouldn't seem to be a problem as there is nothing specified for hull stiffening.

Has anyone else had to deal with this problem? What was the answer?

Comments and advice welcome!

Graham
Alb 5893

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Graham5893. Reason: Spelling error

Floor stiffening 5 years 2 months ago #9942

• Sam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not an uncommon problem and one that will occur more and more as wood boats get older. There is a rule implication regarding hull thickness which should be the same throughout. I put forward a proposal to the AGM to sort this out and allowing an extra layer of ply to be bonded into the floor of the boat bringing us into line with the Solos Enterprises Fireflys etc This has been shelved at least for the time being pending being looked at by a rules committee at some indeterminate point in the future and I must say I hold very little hope of anything happening soon!!
In the mean time I did a boat with the extra skin just to see if it could be done. It can and has proved successful so far Details from me or Phil Smith also has the details'
In the meantime you can bodge it with glass mat which is never successful. Ignore the rules and do it properly but I wouldn't recommend this or hope for the best and wait for the rules committee.
#Good Luck
Sam Mason
Attachments:

Floor stiffening 5 years 2 months ago #9943

• Graham5893
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sam

Many thanks for the advice and the photos. I don't want to risk putting the boat out of class and as the boat is in generally good order I'm not sure I need to put a full length of ply in as you have, but I do think that putting another batten in and possibly some cross bracing should do it. I will probably do it one stage at a time with the battens first and see what happens.

I have just bought another K&P Albacore where the hull has gone rotten at the back over a large area so I will be scrapping it, but it will give me the battens and other wood which will match what I have already. I have looked at the side bracing knees under the side decks and I think they could be modified to go on the floor coming out from the c/b case at least as far as the first batten. I have seen other Albs with 2 battens per side, so this is clearly the route some builders have taken.

Have tried to upload photos but the 'add file' link doesn't seem to do anything when I select the photo.

Floor stiffening 5 years 2 months ago #9951

• snettbish
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
My Knight and pink has two battens either side of the hog to stiffen the floor.
Tim
A6812
6844 Firebird
6812 Acushla

Floor stiffening 5 years 2 months ago #9954

• Graham5893
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Tim

Thanks for that. Useful info. I am thinking now towards fitting an inner batten between the existing and the hog and then bracing between the bouyancy tanks and the existing batten.

Cheers

Graham

Floor stiffening 3 weeks 1 day ago #11026

• DaveHuberSailing
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Graham, I just bought a Knight & Pink (7355) that also has some flexing as you described. Were you able to stiffen the deck?

Dave Huber, AL7355 & 7499

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds