Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which Ronstan Orbit Jib sheet block?

Which Ronstan Orbit Jib sheet block? 11 months 3 days ago #10921

• Dave7187
  • Dave7187's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, Has anyone any experience of the above Ronstan Orbit Auto Ratchet jib sheet block please? I would appreciate advice as to which size block would be best either 40mm or 55mm? I am at an "Improver" level re trying to upgrade my wooden Young's Albacore 7187 (that had a lot wrong with it) The current jib sheet fairleads are the older plastic and stainless steel type located on Allen alloy tracks on the side tanks but these keep catching on the jib sheets. This is particularly frustrating when racing and with less experienced and younger crew. As I'm probably going to buy the Ronstan Orbit Auto ratchet jib block, can any one advise please in their experience which size would be best suited 40mm or 55mm for 10mm sheets? Many Thanks, Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dave7187.

Which Ronstan Orbit Jib sheet block? 11 months 2 days ago #10922

• jeremy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Dave
I do not have any experience of this model but in general it pays to buy the bigger size as the sheet will move round it more easily.
I would check that it releases easily as the most common cause of an Albacore capsizing is tacking with the jib cleated or held in some way.

Which Ronstan Orbit Jib sheet block? 10 months 3 weeks ago #10924

• Richard Smith
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Dave - I use Harken 40 mm T2 Soft-Attach Ratchamatic® Block on the jib fairleads. Not cheap but they work well. The ratchet only comes on when there is load on the block. I tried other blocks by other manufacturers but found that the load to engage the ratchet was quite high. Harken seems to require a lighter load to engage the ratchet which is a nice feature and keeps the crew happier. I used the existing tracks fitted to my boat and retained the stand up spring.
I hope this helps
Regards Richard

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds