• Page:

TOPIC: New Portsmouth yardstick numbers

New Portsmouth yardstick numbers 8 years 9 months ago #8286

• jeremy
  • jeremy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The RYA has just published the numbers for 2011 & the Albacore has been docked one point to 1064 (?how come?)
The Phantom has lost 5 points but the Merlin stays unchanged much to everyone's suprise. I'd have thought the Merlin should have lost 10 and the Laser gained 20 (only 2 in fact)
I have a good friend at Lyme who sails a Merlin and a Laser - I have never beaten him in his Merlin & he has never beaten me when he sails his Laser!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New Portsmouth yardstick numbers 8 years 9 months ago #8288

• JohnW
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Its only 0.1% or 3.6 seconds per hour
so I don't think we will see huge changes in our results.
but obviously Albacore sailors are getting better!

Perhaps Lyme need to adjust their numbers for Lasers and Merlins according to the guidelines:

RYA wrote:

Number Adjustment
All users of the RYA Portsmouth Yardstick Scheme should be aware that the RYA actively encourage all clubs to provide
fair racing. The Portsmouth Number list below is offered as guidance to clubs that should enable fair racing for most
clubs. However, if the numbers below do not work for any individual club or class, then they are encouraged to amend
these. For more information, please contact the RYA Technical Department (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

This would then feed back into the system to address any unfair handicaps. (Assuming LRSC does their PY returns).
John W
GBR 8213

Re: New Portsmouth yardstick numbers 8 years 9 months ago #8289

• CrawfyReid
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Our club here at Strathclyde Loch have used the suggested YR2 calculations for around 8 years now and the listed handicap has become almost irrelevant.
It originally takes a couple of months to settle but it all works out fairly according to the corrected time and margin between finishers and it is these handicaps which are sent back in the end of year returns, if more clubs used this it would give the very information that the RYA need to issue numbers which not only appear fair, but are fair.
Too many committees are afraid to rock the boat so its not going to change very soon.
I sail off something like -35 it certainly makes you try harder!
Crawfy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds